Thursday, August 2, 2012

iTunes Latest - 3

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Shandi - Kiss (1980) - I was a huge fan of Kiss in the mid-1970s when they were the biggest band on the planet. All of the make-up and mystery helped make them larger than life. The album Destroyer didn't hurt that image either. Ultimately, their star began to fade and they had to make some stylistic changes to keep pace with the times. This song was part of that effort and I always loved its sound.
  • The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn Band (1981) - In the early 1980s, this song was played so much that it was unavoidable even in the remotest parts of the galaxy. However, when fresh, it was a distinctive song that made me want to be a rock star. After not hearing it for a couple decades, it was definitely fresh enough to listen to again.
  • What Can Daddy Do - Sniff 'n the Tears (1980) - I had recently purchased the song Driver's Seat by this band. Because that is their only known song, they are typically lumped into the "one hit wonder" category. But this song tells the story of a wayward child who is struggling to find what she wants in live. I love the edge and the phrasing.
  • Sweet Sixteen - Billy Idol (1986) - I am not a fan of most of Billy Idol's work. He tried to cast himself as this tough guy, punk rocker with a permanent snarl on his lips. However he seemed kind of scrawny and plastic. But this song has a brooding, ethereal edge to it that pulled me in.
  • I Think I Like it - Boston (1986) - I bought the album Third Stage on cassette just after it was released. A great album that I really enjoyed. This song was a positively charged rocker that always lifted my spirits. I thought this would be a great addition to my exercise play list. Boston is also one of the only bands that I have seen in concert.