Monday, October 3, 2011

Roughnecks

Most every day at work I sit in my car for a few moments at lunch time to find a little space and a little peace. As the lunch hour rolls to a close, a wave of construction workers erecting a new building on our grounds heads back to their job site. Dozens of workers stroll through the parking lot past my view. Roughnecks one and all. Most adorned with tattoos, a cigarette hanging out of their mouth, and a look of toughness about themselves. Through my windshield, they definitely look like stock characters from a movie in the way they act, the way they dress, and the way they look. There is quite a stark contrast between these crews of workers walking in one direction, and the business folks in their tailored suits walking in the other direction.

It is so easy to judge their blue collar world from my vantage point in my white collar tower. I sometimes find myself taking the long way around to avoid them, or checking that my car is locked as I sit inside, or deriding them in my mind as they walk by. Why do I feel the need to judge? They are no different than me. They work hard all day to make a living to support themselves and their families. It's honest work that takes skill, commitment, and a good attitude. They provide a great service for the community. However, although I try to remind myself to view these workers with respect, my mind ignores this request and seems to fire out negativity and judgment at the drop of a (hard)hat.