Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Marker

Are you the type of person who sets goals for yourself in the things that you pursue? Perhaps you have developed a mental list of where you would like to be 5 or 10 years from now. Now you might not go this far in thinking things out or outlining various scenarios, but I bet that you like to see some sort of noticeable progress in whatever you are involved with. It could be in your career path, particular relationships, your school work, or your faith. It is then natural to become discouraged or disillusioned when your reality does not meet your expectations. In times like this, you have several options. You could continue plodding in the rut you have entrenched, or you could throw in the towel and give up, or you could re-evaluate your approach and make some course corrections.

There are several verses in the Bible about our growth from younglings to mature believers. Hebrews 5:13-14 unapologetically states, "Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Jesus's disciple Peter stated (2 Peter 3:18) more humbly, "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

As I think back on my life as a Christian, there are seasons when I have felt comfortable, knowing that I was where I was supposed to be and doing what I was supposed to be doing. I felt that I was learning and growing. That I was on the right path surrounded by good people. Then there are seasons such as now, where I am treading water. I feel uncertain and alone. I wander about aimlessly looking for a marker to reorient myself, to get back on the right road. These times are such a discouragement, especially as they linger. I still go to Sunday service, make times for my devotionals, pray and seek, yet it feels a bit hollow, stagnant, rote, and joyless. Perhaps it is time for a course correction.