Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesdays with Maddie

Tuesdays with Morrie, subtitled "An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson", was a tear-jerker type of movie that came out in 1999 about a sociologist and his relation with one of his students. I never saw the movie, but you can rest assured that it was punctuated throughout with swelling music, contrived pathos, and at least one dead body. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the movie was touching because the student made an effort to set aside time to meet with Morrie regularly. It was important for both of them. I believe that Morrie was slowly dying and the student, though a grown man, still realized that his old teacher still had a lot to give him.

I stumbled upon a memory of this movie and it made me think about the importance of setting aside special time to be with those that are important in your life. For the past several years, I have purposefully set aside Wednesday afternoons to be with my daughter. This is a time where I keep my hectic schedule free from any and all appointments and responsibilities so that our special time is not impacted. For anyone who knows anything about me, this is a pretty big deal.

While our Wednesday afternoons are certainly not the stuff that the movie-going public would go to see, this time of togetherness and sharing is precious to me. "Wednesdays with Maddie - A daddy, his daughter, and life's best moments".