Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Right as Rain


There is a verse in the New Testament book of Matthew that gives us some instruction on how to pray, and also, how not to pray. Matthew 6:7 says, "When you pray, don't babble on and on like the heathens do." Sometimes I have to chuckle at myself for some of the thoughts that run through my head during my prayers.

Recently, I was slogging through a day under a deep veil of depression. I am not even sure what brought it on. However, by the time I got home from work I felt immobilized. Everything in my mind was dark and filled with hate and dread. I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to make a small supper that I laid out on the coffee table in the living room. I sat down on the floor and just got lost in a haze of thought. I was hurting and anxious and uncertain. At that moment I prayed a prayer inspired by dialog from The Matrix. There is a scene when a troubled Neo visits the Oracle. She offers him a cookie and tells him, "I promise, by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel as right as rain." My prayer was that when I finished my supper, I just wanted to feel as right as rain.

You know that when I was done with my supper that night, I felt in control of my mind. My emotions were in balance. I felt energized and alive. The storm had vanished for a time, replaced by warm and welcome sunshine.