Friday, September 17, 2010

Old Habits

Patterns, tendencies, practices, conventions, penchants, call them what you will, habits have always been a part of our human mindset and approach. We find mental and physical comfort in routine and sameness. It could be where we park our car at work, how we wash our shower stall, or the order in which we eat the food our on plates. We all have our identifiable patterns that we almost mindlessly and subconsciously fall into.

I have had my clock radio alarm set to the same station for years. During this time there have been more than half a dozen format changes. As I was waking up to my usual station the other morning, I came to the clear realization that I have not particularly cared for this station since the original format that attracted me in the first place. The reason why I have not seen fit to adjust the dial and find something more to my liking is as simple as H-A-B-I-T.

Now I am not insinuating that habits are necessarily bad. In fact some, like drinking milk with our dinners, do a body good. Others, like smoking, may be quite bad for us. However, the vast remainder of the habits associated with us as individuals are probably completely neutral. They are neither good nor bad. As for me, I plan to change that radio station as soon as I get home, if I can overcome my mental inertia.