Thursday, August 26, 2010

Traveling Man

Ricky Nelson used to sing that he was a travelin' man, who made a lot of stops all over the world. I can relate. I too have traveled all over the world, albeit, reluctantly, and with more than a bit of dread. You see, I have never really cared for being out on the road, away from home.

First, air travel is horribly uncomfortable for me as a semi-tall person with bad knees. I also think that whoever the heck it was who invented the upside-down comma shaped seats that force us into the most uncomfortable position possible, is most likely related to Dr. Mengele. I'm quite sure that he danced with passion and glee as he made the seat cushion/floatation device of a material so hard that sea otters could use it to crack open clams. Then, usually, after a long, body- and mind-draining flight, when you don't have an ounce of energy or cognitive ability remaining, you are then forced to figure out the local taxi/subway system to get to your bed-bug-infested hotel room. I am not sure if you have noticed this when you travel, but many foreign countries have this annoying habit of not putting up clear signs in English. What a world. What a world.

However, if I were to be forced at gun point to admit something positive about traveling to far away places, it would be that I have seen some amazing sights and eaten some awesome food. But, seeing that there is no gun pointed at my head, I shall not utter such niceties, lest travel start to think it is something special or even remotely enjoyable.

Anyway, today I find myself on the road again (which sounds vaguely country song-ish somehow). Not a particularly distant or exotic locale mind you, but travel nontheless. I am heading down to Columbia, South Carolina as part of my job. I already know from my itinerary that this will be one very long, very exhausting, very busy day. But hey, what's not to look forward to? Cramped and tiny puddle-jumping planes, invasive butt monitoring at today's state-of-the-art airports, long lines, surly people, long meetings with people wearing suits. I could go on, but it is already too depressing as it is.