Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Matinee

My friend robshep sees lots and lots of movies. He has a passion for checking out the latest releases. He then shares his opinions on his blog. My guess is that he also then spends time discussing his favorites and not-so-favorites with his friends and co-workers. All of this makes him more culturally relevant.

However, for me, I too go to the movies, but I am, ... well ..., culturally relevant to an entirely different crowd. I have not gone to see a grown-up movie in many years. I save my movie nights to go see what might be termed more kid-friendly or family-friendly movies with my daughter. Looking over the ticket stubs that we have collected, it seems the last 10 movies that I have seen are:
  • Fly Me to the Moon
  • Madagascar: Escape to Africa
  • Up
  • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
  • Planet 51
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Shrek Forever After
  • Toy Story 3
Now I could tell you that I am merely going along to chaperone my daughter, that I find these movies sappy and silly, that I prefer much more high-brow entertainment. I could, but that would not be true. I love going to see these movies. I love the positive messages and the child-like imagination that it stirs within me. I assure you that I am not missing out on a thing. If the truth be told, my daughter is probably the one who must chaperone me at the movies.