Friday, June 19, 2009

It's Not About You

Sometimes it's not about you. When you love somebody with all your heart, it is amazing how feelings of pride associated with the big moments in their lives can overwhelm you. Feelings so pure and tender and joyous. The spotlight is not on us and that is so totally fine, it's their chance to shine and to step out. To stand on their own and their own accomplishments. The other day I attended my daughter's fifth grade graduation ceremony. She wore a beautiful new spring dress and her first pair of big girl shoes. When she came into the auditorium, she quickly searched to find me as she walked with her class to their assigned seats. A smile crept across her face, followed by a small wave. Tears started to well up in my eyes. When it was her turn to walk across the stage, get her certificate, and shake the hand of her principal, my mind flooded with images and moments from the past school year. I thought of how hard Maddie worked on her homework each day. How she made sure she completed her assignments, even for subjects that she did not particularly enjoy. Her private recorder concerts for me still echo in my mind. I still hear her going over spelling words as we drove to school. I remember the nervousness on days when she had to do her oral reports. Maddie you really made your daddy proud. Seeing you grow and mature, gaining wisdom, knowledge, and confidence as you go, is a wonderful journey to share with you. All of my love, daddy.