Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Delicate Genius

Exerpts from Seinfeld episode 103, "The Kiss Hello":

GEORGE: I still don't see why I can't ask her about my arm.

ELAINE: She's a physical therapist. She doesn't want to have to deal with that outside of the office.

GEORGE: Why not?

ELAINE: Because, it is what she does.

GEORGE: I love these people, you can't ask 'em questions. They're so mentally gifted that we mustn't disturb the delicate genius.

Come to think about it, I believe that I would fall into the category of a delicate genius. When all of my cylinders are churning and fine tuned, my mind is at peace and is a model of focus. In this state I have had people knock on my door or walk into my office and I neither heard them nor saw them until they physically assaulted me. When I am cruising down this road, the doorways between my right brain and left brain are fully open, neurons are firing, and I can concentrate so deeply with such creativity and wisdom that the secrets of the universe are clear and obvious to me (careful here, I have used the literary device known as "hyperbole"). However, if the smallest seed of conflict or aggression or hate or jealousy or concern is planted in me, the whole system diverts crucial resources to stewing on the issue and my ability to work and concentrate is unbalanced and destroyed. Please, you mustn't disturb the delicate genius. Just leave your gifts and offerings by the door and back away quietly.