Friday, November 7, 2008

Ode to the Potato


I am totally blown away by the versatility of the common spud. In France it is called the pomme de terre, the ground apple. Did you know that the potato is the world's fourth largest food crop after corn, rice, and wheat? You knew this? Hmmm. O.K., well did you know its genus and species is solanum tuberosum? Not feeling so smart now are you? (Actually don't feel so bad, I just copied this information from the web). Now back to the potato. The main point of my post today is to honor the potato in all its delicious glory. What other food item can be prepared in so many different manners? Boiled, fried, baked, braised, roasted, broiled, sauteed, mashed, raw (really?). Oh I could go on. I get the feeling that butter and salt would be quite lonely if the potato had not been invented. So, give thanks to your friend, the potato, today (and then commence to munching).