Monday, September 29, 2014

Phony Baloney

I have known a few folks over the years who put too much effort into sucking up to their superiors. However, their shameless behavior was far from smooth and miles from natural. Fake smiles, exaggerated chortles, over-the-top compliments. 100% saccharin. It is astounding how quickly they denigrate others they see who attempt to suck-up to their bosses using the same approach. Are they incensed so because they are blind to their own actions or because they were beaten to the punch? Witnessing their awkward pantomime and cloying affectations makes me wonder if their bosses recognize this phony baloney act and try their best to endure it or if they ever actually fall for that juicy worm left bobbing on the surface of the water.

I have a number of simple suggestions to impress my bosses with my behavior:
  • Show up to work each day and give my best effort.
  • Take responsibility for my work assignments.
  • Be honest and forthright in my interactions with others.
  • Step up and do my part.
  • Take my work seriously and carefully review what I do to ensure it can stand up to scrutiny.
  • Work hard whether anyone can see me or not.
Some might think this a radical approach, all that "honest work for a day's pay" rubbish. It amazes me how some folks can have any self-respect when they exert so much energy trying to look busy rather than actually working and trying to fool folks into thinking they are indispensable when they most often fall short or exist only on the fringes of hard work and useful input. I hope that when I retire, folks who work in and around me will say that I was a good worker, that I wasn't a counterfeit seasoned sausage made of finely ground meat, usually beef and pork, that has been cooked and smoked.