Monday, September 8, 2014

Observations 65

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • There is a real law firm in my area called "Allen, Allen, Allen, and Allen". I wonder if the partners fought for position in the naming ranks.
  • Leaving the grocery store the other day I saw a sign pushed into the ground by the exit advertising a "Math and Reading Camp". I wonder if they have gotten a single person to sign up.
  • I am convinced that my church places volunteers about the sanctuary whose job it is to try to rouse up energy in the congregation during the music time by clapping as loudly as they possibly can. Judging by those that are always standing behind me, one of the qualifications for this position is a complete lack of rhythm.
  • This may sound crazy, but as I was driving to work the other day, I became certain that the mound that I saw on the side of the road ahead of me was a large owl. As I passed by the mound, it turned out to be a lost throw pillow. Has this ever happened to you?
  • My work place just spent a huge amount of effort (i.e. money) to "train" folks how to respond to a terrorist attack on the site. Here are your options, you can 1). run, 2). hide, or 3). fight. Now wasn't that worth all the effort?