Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Observations 48

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • I just sat through a seminar given by a chinese man with a prototypical french accent. It was kind of surreal.
  • Our phone system at work can receive site-wide alerts. The other day we lost network access, which took down internet and email. A site-wide alert circulated that noted, "The IT Division is working to restore network services. See email for more details."
  • Have you ever noticed just how disgusting the keyboard of your computer is? Every key is covered with dirt, grime, and foreign substances, and there are bit and pieces of unidentified food bits between the keys.
  • I saw a man sitting in a seminar the other day at work. He was staring at his laptop and had headphones in his ears. I wonder why he bothered to show up.
  • There is an ongoing fashion trend in which women wear what I would term "flood pants", pants that are purposefully worn to be about 3 inches above the tops of their shoes. Personally, I would be mortified to go out in public dressed in ill-fitting clothing.