Tuesday, March 4, 2014

iTunes Latest - 17

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Battle Born - Five Finger Death Punch (2013) - This is the third song that I have downloaded by FFDP in the past few months. A power rocker about strength and mettle and a heart hardened by life's burdens.
  • Life is a Lemon and I Want my Money Back - Meatloaf (1993) - I am not a huge Meatloaf fan, but I saw him perform this song live back when he first released his Bat out of Hell II album. Something connected with me then and I wanted to give this a few listens some 20 years later. Yeah, I think this way too often.
  • Can't Remember to Forget You - Shakira (2014) - I have always wanted to like Shakira, but her past work has always just missed my embrace. Perhaps she was just trying too hard with material that just didn't have sufficient staying power with me. I think with this song she finally put it all together and gave me something to sing along to.
  • Into the Light - Sniff 'n the Tears (2013) - Most folks only known their 1978 song Driver's Seat. Pretty much everything else was well below the radar screen. A few years ago that song recirculated in a movie soundtrack and they reformed to release a new album. This one definitely has their classic sound and is top notch.
  • Let it Go - Idina Menzel (2014) - I saw Disney's Frozen in the theater recently and this song brought tears to my eyes. A song about reclaiming your strength despite all of the pain in life's circumstances.