Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Litter Box

Too many folks seem to treat me like a turd in the kitty litter box. It feels like they would rather scoop some of that ammonia-scented clay to cover me up rather than acknowledge me or deal with me. It doesn't matter whether these people are acquaintances or those that I would like to think are my friends.

So many times I have been told, "Let me know if you need anything." However, folks never seem to be available when I do need something.

How many times will you say to me, "we've got to get together for coffee soon", before you really mean it?

"I have an important doctor's appointment this afternoon so I will not make the meeting." ... "Oh that reminds me, I have to finish my report for that meeting."

Too often I tell you about a personal conflict that is causing me great pain, yet you never once follow up to see how things are going.

While it looks like I seem to be complaining and calling "foul", I assure you that the only finger that I am pointing is directed firmly back at myself. I have heard it said that in order to have a friend, you need to be a friend. However, it is so natural for me to get so wrapped up in myself that I lose focus on everyone else. So natural that it has, in fact, become second nature. That really needs to change.