Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dog Person

The human mind is a fascinating thing. Somehow, some way, everything we witness in our existence is stored in that contraption. It has a way of recording sights, sounds, tastes, textures, and smells. But what I find equally amazing is that the full sensory landscape of what is recorded also synchronizes the memories to the appropriate age when we experienced them. In this manner, things from our childhood are stored away in our minds from the point of view of a child. Sometimes memories in me bubble to the surface due to a stimulus or trigger and I can be transported back to a very different place and time.

I was pondering on this recently when I was sharing a DVD series of cartoons from my youth with my daughter. The cartoon is called Dynomutt and consisted of about 20 episodes back in the mid-1970s. I remember that this was a fun cartoon that I thought my daughter would enjoy as well. However, viewing it now, the grown-up and mature part of me saw a cute concept, but with a pretty thin plot and cheesy dialog. However, the memories stored in my brain from the point of view of a 10-year-old boy, couldn't help but relish this experience and just savor every bit of the experience.

Flashing through the sky, he's a go-go guy!
Stronger than a train, with a so-so brain!
He's fearless, scareless, ..., a little too careless!
Dynomutt ... he's a go-go dog person!