Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Untouchables

The Untouchables were a group of federal lawmen who worked to bring down the notorious gangster Al Capone in Chicago in the early 1930s. This group earned the name of The Untouchables because they were legendary for being fearless and incorruptible. In my life, however, I have come to associate an "Untouchable" with someone who consistently seems to come out on top, even though they are wholly undeserving. They make it through episodes of personal betrayal, destruction of the lives of others, and just plain sinful behavior better off financially, emotionally, and socially. What makes being around people like this so difficult is when they continue in smiles and peace, while you carry the hurt and scars from their path of destruction. They seem untouchable.

I want to scream out "IT ISN'T FAIR!" and "WHEN WILL THEY GET WHAT THEY DESERVE?". Attitudes of frustration and resentment are easily ushered into much darker tones. It becomes so hard for me not to let hate establish its rule over me. The sinful seed that someone else has sown comes to uproot my heart and my mind. I am left in pieces while they continue on in seeming happiness and contentment. Where is their penalty? Where is my justice? They seem untouchable.

Romans 2:1 teaches us, "Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things." Basically, it is not up to me to worry about such people or to attempt to judge them. This behavior is self-destructive and, in the end, utterly futile. You must actively work to keep your mind clear and uncluttered from feelings and thoughts that can poison the body. I think about the truth in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."