Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolutions 2009

Just as I did after the passing of calendar year 2008 (see Resolutions 2008), I sat down and went over my list of resolutions made for 2009. Good or bad, wins or losses, I find it important to see how much or how little I have achieved in this regard. This exercise helps to give me perspective either way. Successfully achieved resolutions sure can make me feel better about myself. They also help to temper the sting and self-rebuke of those resolutions that were not achieved.

While I view yearly resolutions as a private matter, I thought it would be helpful to those struggling with the realization that they did not get very far on their lists for 2009 to see how a fellow traveller did. You will certainly notice that I did not meet all of my goals, but I can assure you that it was not for lack of effort. So, here is my list with a brief commentary for each item.
  1. To ask a woman out on a date - I asked a friend of mine out (see Rejection) back in February. Goal met.
  2. To go out on two or three dates before the year is over - I failed on this one as the one person I asked out said no. Presently I am not close enough to any other women to pursue them.
  3. To buy a new house for me and my daughter - Back in February, this one was checked off. (See my House Series - I, II, III, IV, V, VI).
  4. To exercise the whole year - I did quite well on this one. (See my progress on Mr. Puddin' Belly II from just a few days ago.)
  5. To make several new friends - I lost several good friends this year who moved away; this took a lot out of me. As I have talked about in this blog on several occasions (see most recently Give and Receive), I really struggle to make new friends. However, this year, I would say that I have only a few new acquaintances. Hopefully these relationships will evolve into something deeper.
  6. To grow closer to God - I continue to seek out God each day through prayer and other spiritual disciplines. However, I am not sure if I am any closer to God today than I was a year ago. Probably because I am too focussed on me and my problems to truly look outside of myself. I will continue to work on this.
Now I will prepare my list of resolutions for 2010 and make my plans for how to be successful on each one.