Thursday, October 2, 2014

Observations 68

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • I find it so frustrating that most companies and organizations cannot seem to be able to do something nice for someone without holding a press conference to announce their generosity to the world.
  • A pastor friend of mine said that when giving criticism, be honest but fair. I wonder how he would respond to a parent who asked if their extremely ugly baby was cute. Perhaps, "Absolutely not. But praise be that it isn't as beastly as your other children."
  • When T.V. chefs refer to the person that sells them fish, they call them a "fishmonger". That term has always seemed to me like a put down.
  • I ran across a news story the other day about a hot new fashion trend, jeans that have been torn up by lions. What will we think of next to get all fevered about?
  • Believe it or not, there are still people out there who think that they are impressing others when they have a conversation on their cell phone.