Thursday, October 16, 2014

In the News 4

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the online news headlines each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Goodbye to Pete Van Wieren - The headline appeared at the bottom of the sports page after pretty much everything else, but it hit me hard. A piece of me had been taken away. Pete Van Wieren was one of the broadcasters of the Atlanta Braves on TBS when they used to broadcast nearly all of their games. A job he did with skill and professionalism for more than 30 years. One of my favorite moments of the day used to come when I would switch on the TV and could hear Pete and the sounds of the ballgame for a few moments before the picture tube warmed up. It just feels like the two of us lived through a lot together. In fact, my time watching the Braves and listening to Pete helped me to find my peace for many years. Pete Van Wieren died of cancer on August 2.

Ebola 'Doe' Family - The news headlines have been covered with stories about the Ebola virus outbreak in parts of Africa. Since the end of 2013, nearly 1000 people have died and folks are still contracting the disease and moving down its grizzly path of excrutiating pain toward death. Researchers announced that they believe they have figured out who the first individual was who was infected in this most recent outbreak. A 2 year old boy died on Dec. 6, 2013. A week later on Dec. 13, 2013 the boy's mother died, followed by his 3 year old sister on Dec. 29, 2013. Finally, the family's grandmother died on Jan. 1, 2014. An entire family wiped out in less than a month. The news story that I read was very clinical in its reporting. They never bothered to mention the names of those who died as if they didn't even matter.