Thursday, August 28, 2014

Observations 64

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • "Everyone claims to have a sense of humor, but some of them are lying and a significant number are fooling themselves." - Dean Koontz
  • Some folks just don't understand our American rules for basic political correctness. I sat in a recent meeting with an older man from the former Soviet Union who was making bold statements about how a woman's purpose should only be to find a husband and not get involved with a career. I don't even think that he was aware of the rest of the folks in the room cringing.
  • I sometimes think that church people are the most unintentionally rude folks I know. Pretty much any time that I am chatting with someone before service, someone else will come up and hijack the person to whom I am talking.
  • Why do folks who should know better still talk about topics in interviews that they just shouldn't touch with a 10-foot-long pole?
  • Have you ever had a boss tell you to make a presentation at a meeting that you really want no part of and then ask "How much time would you like me put on the agenda for your talk?" .... errr ... "How about none?".