Friday, October 24, 2008

Identity in Christ

I have been living a lie. Outwardly I smile and laugh, but I have been dead on the inside for quite some time. To be more correct, I am dying but not dead. I like the way that it is expressed in the song Lost by Coldplay, Just because I'm losing doesn't mean I'm lost. Part of my recovery involves some profound words that I say to myself every day. I have seen them attributed to Robert McGee and called Identity in Christ.

"Because of Christ's redemption, I am a new creation of infinite worth. I am deeply loved, I am completely forgiven, I am fully pleasing, I am absolutely complete in Christ. When my performance reflects my new identity in Christ, that reflection is dynamically unique. There has never been another person like me in the history of mankind, nor will there ever be. God has made me an original, one of a kind, a special person."