Friday, October 31, 2008

Appreciating Friends

I once publicly thanked my friend Keith for allowing me to take every premise to its most absurd conclusion. This was a joke that I often used with him in private during my sentence in graduate school. This sentiment simply meant that I deeply appreciated the fact that he let me be me. I could talk to him about any topic and he would give me the freedom to say whatever I wanted to say, whether right, wrong, or completely off the point (this latter condition was the case more often than not with me). There was never any judgement in his replies, just acceptance of me. I remember that after a long, hard, pressure-filled day, or a day in which I was bored or keyed-up and did not feel like working, I could always swing by his office and just shoot the breeze, relax, and reset. Our discussions were always filled with laughter, silliness, inanity, and mutual, unconditional enjoyment. I think that Keith was one of the few people I could show my silly side to because most everyone else expected me to be serious and uptight. Not Keith. Friends like him are rare in our lives and they should be embraced and celebrated. Let your friends know how much you appreciate them today. I wanted to share a few good quotes on friendship that get my point across much better than I can.

  • A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.
  • Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure.
  • What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
  • The only way to have a friend is to be one.
  • A faithful friend is the medicine of life.
  • Friendship multiplies the good of life and divides the evil.
  • Friendship needs no words.
  • The best mirror is an old friend.