Thursday, May 21, 2015

In the News 12

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the online news headlines each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it
involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Tim Tebow - There are certain NFL quarterbacks who somehow seem to hang around despite physical flaws and clear deficiencies in their games. Tim Tebow would be part of this category, however his deficiencies were just too glaring. He is also very public about his faith and I think moreso that his problems throwing a football accurately, he is someone everyone seems to love to hate and bash. His failure to land a job in the NFL caused most folks to foam with joy. However, he continued to work toward his goal of getting back into the league to prove his doubters wrong, all while remaining humble and true to himself. Tim signed a 1-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on April 20, 2015. I, for one, hope he makes the team.

David Letterman - In the 1980s there was an event marked on my calendar 5 nights a week, Late Night with David Letterman. Even now I can recall the sense of peace that would wash over me as I got home from studying in the library and got to spend a few minutes before bed unwinding with Dave. I almost think that back in those days watching Late Night was part of a college student's core ciriculum. Eventually Dave moved from his irreverant NBC post marked by hilarity, inanity, and Alka-Seltzer suits, to a more mature and staid CBS position and we eventually lost touch. However, he has a solid place in my heart. Dave hosted his final show on May 20, 2015.