Thursday, May 7, 2015

In the News 11

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the online news headlines each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Leonard Nimoy - My introduction to Mr. Nimoy came in the mid-1970s when my dad would watch Star Trek reruns that came on T.V. on Sunday afternoons. As a young boy I found that show kind of stark, creepy, and a bit cheesy. A few years later Mr. Nimoy narrated a show called In Search Of about things paranormal, unexplained, and mysterious. It was kind of spooky and haunting, but I took to it a bit more. For the next 30 years Mr. Nimoy slowly came to embrace his inner Mr. Spock and became something of a cultural icon. Leonard Nimoy died on February 27, 2015 from lung disease at the age of 83.

James Best - In the early 80s the campy show The Dukes of Hazzard was big. On Friday nights you can be certain that I was planted in front of the T.V. set and ready to go. I loved the silliness and inanity, even though each show had pretty much the same plot. Some of my favorite scenes included Boss Hogg railing over Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane. Poor old Roscoe was beaten down and corrupt, but he had his moments where his heart shone through and he did the right thing. I have not watched an episode in many years, but I hang on to those memories. James Best played the part of Roscoe and it was definitely his signature role, one for which he was perfectly cast. James Best died on April 6, 2015 at the age of 88.