Tuesday, November 27, 2012

iTunes Latest - 8

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Wheels - Heart (2010) - The mid-70's version of Heart was special. The hard-rocking Wilson sisters then morphed into an even more popular arena pop band. After the lights went out on this style of music, Heart has put out a few records in the last 10 years more in line with their original leanings. This song would have been very much at home back in the 70's with their other material. I love the simmering energy that builds up in this one before the accelerator is pushed hard to the floor.
  • Red Velvet Car - Heart (2010) - The title song from their 2010 album. This one is a bit of a slower tempo piece that pleads for the return and restoration of one missing. Lovely piece.
  • Lay it on the Line - Triumph (1979) - I recently saw a youtube video of the band playing this song live in Halifax in 1980. Even though this song is locked in my head from my old AM radio days, the video re-energized me to this song. The lead singer/guitarist for this group (Rik Emmett) had it all.
  • Fight the Good Fight - Triumph (1981) - Another great one from the Triumph catalog from 30 some-odd years ago. It is one to melt your face off.
  • Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi (2003) - I am not a big fan of Bon Jovi, especially the work the band has been doing for the past decade. However, I did like the original version of this song. It was a rowdy anthem that was energizing and uplifting. The version of the song that I downloaded about good ole Tommy and Gina was the alternate form from This Left Feels Right. A version that slows the tempo, dials back on the guitars, is soulful instead of defiant, and has a whole different vibe that just speaks to me.