Thursday, November 6, 2014

In the News 5

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the news headlines online each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Classic Kid's Books - There was a recent story on CNN the other day about 15 classic children's books. Flipping through the titles, including The Giving Tree, The Story of Ferdinand, Harold and the Purple Crayon, The Poky Little Puppy, and The Snowy Day, took me down a road of reminiscing about my own childhood and about those many nights of reading stories to my daughter. For once reading the news gave me some good feelings.

Derek Jeter - Oftentimes the elite of a given sport are not afforded much respect if they do not play for your team, and they are especially villainized if they play for one of your team's key rivals. However, after watching countless games in which Derek Jeter played (I am a Red Sox fan), it was clear that not only was he a great player, but a great ambassador for his sport. He played the game with passion, with dedication, and with respect. Derek played all 20 years of his distinguished baseball career for the New York Yankees. His last game was Sep. 28, 2014.