- They believe that some supernatural force was responsible for creating the universe and all living creatures within it, but they do not really understand the who, when, how, what, or why.
- They believe in the golden rule which they assume is really what all man-made religions are all about.
- They sense that all of the life around them was not created by accident, that there must have been a creator, but they do not believe in a creator who wants a personal relationship with them.
- They cannot find any way to make sense of all the disparate and contradictory religions, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddist, ..., so they feel they cannot embrace any single one, but somehow feel that there must be a kernel of truth in there somewhere.
- They believe in the God of the Bible but have chosen to set Him aside.
Yet, how often do I, who call myself a Christian, set God aside because I am focused on myself? How easily the smallest thing can cause me to forget about Him and think only of myself. Often it seems I am neiher spiritual nor religious.