Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Grind My Gears 35

Sometimes the doings of nature really get stuck in my craw. Now I don't for a moment have any idea what a craw actually is, but if you were to look in mine, I have no doubt that it would be brimming with doings. It seems like nature has it in for me. We are late into fall and at this time of year there is barely enough daylight to last the duration of an old Manilow song. Interestingly enough, this is also the time of year when nature causes the trees to shed their leaves like a diseased poodle. This shedding does not happen conveniently all at once, but over the course of several months. Given the aforementioned length of day issue, it is impossible to do any yardwork during the week when I, unlike nature, have to go to an actual job and work for a living. On the weekends when I am available to work in the yard, nature conveniently sits a nasty, bloated rain cloud above my property that incessantly pours down its waste water. The sky is perfectly cloudless up until midnight on Friday and once again at first light on Monday morning. Meanwhile, the leaves pile up and the glares on my neighbor's faces as they watch me drive down the road get nastier and more contorted. Nature really grinds my gears.