Thursday, November 18, 2010

New Group

Back in August I wrote a post entitled Flavio Gustaffo about my experience hosting a church small group in my humble abode. Although I tried to couch my fears regarding this experience in humor, it was a pretty big deal for me. As I look back, I am pleased with the fact that I volunteered and pleased with my attitude and spirit in taking on that assignment. I worked hard at something that wasn't natural for me. That group came to an end in October and before I knew it, I was signed up to meet with another entirely new group. Yikes, here we go again ...

Those of you who are regular visitors to this website, have probably realized that I am not very good at meeting people and hanging out in social situations. It is my kryptonite. This type of experience can cause me to run whimpering into the street with my tail tucked between my legs and tears streaming down my face. Not a pretty sight. Yet even knowing how I am around groups of people, especially groups of people that I have never met before, I signed up to join another group. Yikes, here we go again ...

So far, things have been about as I had imagined. I have survived the first couple of meetings like a scared child on their first rollercoaster ride. Eyes closed, gripping the bar so tightly that fingers go numb, screaming on the inside in utter terror. Why do I put myself through this experience if I make it out to be so dreadful? Well, for one thing, it is biblical. Structured relationships that involve meeting regularly with other Christians are an important part of growth and development on our journey. Also I know most kids who survive that first rollercoaster ride, immediately want to go right back on it.