Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lessons from the Deli

There is a brand of cold cuts called Boar's Head. They make a broad array of deli meats and cheeses that are definitely a couple of notches above anything else that I have come across. A bit more expensive than the usual mass market brands, but after a few nibbles, you will quickly appreciate what you are paying extra for. As Boar's Head was not sold in my regular supermarket, for many years I made do with a different brand that was just "O.K.". However, every once in a while I would stop off at a different store, a bit farther from my house, that did carry Boar's Head. I would get a bit of this and a bit of that and it was amazing how it transformed my lunch time for a few days. Instead of gobbling down my regular sandwich without a second thought, lunch became something that I would look forward to well in advance. A sandwich became something to savor and linger over.

Recently, my supermarket changed locations. It moved from its old, cramped, dated building to a newly remodeled and expanded store front. As part of the remodel, they upgraded their deli department with a broad selection of Boar's Heads products. I thought that this was the greatest thing since, well, sliced bread. I would now have regular access to my favorite deli selections. However, it didn't take long before I was back to choking down my lunches without a second thought. What was once a special treat that I allowed myself a couple of times a year, became just another sandwich when it became the usual.

Like so many things in my life, I quickly tend to lose appreciation for the blessings that I have. When things are readily at hand they lose their vibrancy and quickly fade into the backgroud. This happens not just with things and possessions, it has also happened with people and relationships. It is only when things and people suddenly disappear from my life that I truly realize what I had.