Thursday, January 22, 2015

iTunes Latest - 24

I have been a user of iTunes since 2011. This service has allowed me to bring music back into my world and to reconnect with so many great songs from my past. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or moment in my life. I have also found that every now and then a recent song inspires me. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my thoughts on each song.
  • Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears (1985) - Songs from the Big Chair was an album that dominated the sales charts from the mid-80s and its songs were in heavy rotation on every stop on the dial. This was my favorite song from that album and it takes me back to my days in college. Definitely an association with a teenage version of me.
  • Let it Please - The New Old Fashions (2014) - A haunting song of longing and pleading from my worship pastor and his wife. Unique, musical, and well paced.
  • Love Changes Everything - Honeymoon Suite (1988) - I have recently connected to this group that was gaining steam back when I was in college. They had a great 3 album run before they fell off the map. This song is a pop piece that reminds us that relationships can pull us back into life no matter how long we have been away.
  • All Along You Knew - Honeymoon Suite (1986) - When I say "rock flute solo", most folks would think Jethro Tull, as well they should, yet this song has a great little flute riff that works into this song about affairs and their associated struggles.
  • All the Little Lights - Passenger (2012) - Passenger is not a band, but the stage name of singer/songwriter Michael David Rosenberg. After I came across the gem Let Her Go on the album All the Little Lights, I also gave a listen to the title track from this work. A melancholy, soulful, and reflective piece about losing one's innocence one little light at a time until they have all gone out.