Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In the News 7

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the online news headlines each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it
involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Kosta Karageorge - The word tragedy has become so overused that it has been rendered inert. However, when a 22 year old college student takes his life by shooting himself in a dumpster, the word seems applicable. Kosta was a defensive tackle on the Ohio State University football team and had been dealing with concussion-related symptoms. Kosta was found dead on November 30, 2014.

Craig Ferguson - As a college student, watching late-night TV with Carson and Letterman was a big part of my day. I would come home from studying and take a few hours to unwind and relax. Somewhere along the line, my body required me to be in bed before the evening news came on. However, over the past 10 years, whenever I have had a bout of insomnia and flipped on the TV, I found another late night host that helped me to unwind. Craig Ferguson began as the host of The Late Late Show in 2005. This is a man who is just naturally funny, engaging, and quick-witted. Every time I tuned into his show it was apparent that he was having the time of his life. I never found him to be just going through the motions with the same old boring, tired attitude and pretentious rote interviews with his guests. Craig's last show as host of The Late Late Show was December 19, 2014 and I will miss my occasional time with him.