Thursday, September 18, 2014

Observations 66

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • I've heard pastors mention that in the days of yore, many people routinely memorized the entire Old Testament. I can only cry "bovine pucky". In my Bible, the Old Testament contains more than 700 pages in a rather small font.
  • There is a Chinese guy in my group at work whose lunch looks just like the stuff that you see served at any old Chinese restaurant in the U.S.. Who knew that the restaurant food was reasonably authentic ... or perhaps my colleague has had his palate corrupted by the west?
  • In a comment thread on CNN the other day, someone was trying to sound erudite by using foreign phraseology and used the word "bookoo" to mean "a lot". This made me laugh.
  • Talent is God-given, be humble;

    Fame is man-given, be thankful;

    Conceit is self-given, be careful. (John Wooden)

  • You know the targeted ads they put all over your social media pages? Why oh why have my pages been tiled with ads for bridesmaid dresses?