Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Harlequin

In a recent moment of pique regarding the actions of a colleague, I rashly labeled them as a fool. If I had taken half a beat to filter my thoughts before I uttered them, I would have said something different, less emotionally charged. I think when most of us toss around the word fool, we use it as a synonym for idiot. As I found a quiet place to cool down after this incident, I began to think about the term "fool" and its different meanings, and I realized that not all of them have such negative connotations. In this series of posts, I wanted to explore the different senses of the word fool.

Fool #2 - Someone who damages their reputation by regulary acting like a clown.

Like it or not, when we are not mindful of our tongue or our behavior, we can easily be labeled as a fool. Speaking harshly, dismissively, or disrespectfully to those around us will set up a field around us that repels rather than attracts. Acting like a child around your colleagues or your family will not strengthen your image in their eyes. The trouble is that when you get a reputation as a clown, iit is exceedingly difficult for you to ever escape from that label.

A relevant verse from scripture tells us:

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32

(Part 2 of 4)