Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Merry-Andrew

In a recent moment of pique regarding the actions of a colleague, I rashly labeled them as a fool. If I had taken half a beat to filter my thoughts before I uttered them, I would have said something different, less emotionally charged. I think when most of us toss around the word fool, we use it as a synonym for idiot. As I found a quiet place to cool down after this incident, I began to think about the term "fool" and its different meanings, and I realized that not all of them have such negative connotations. In this series of posts, I wanted to explore the different senses of the word fool.

Fool #4 - Someone who has been tricked into appearing or acting silly or stupid.

Perhaps the most unfair label of fool is one who is cheated out of their time, money, or possessions through the trickery or deceipt of another. Sometimes we may be naive, too trusting, or overrun by an unexpected blow. Through no true fault of our own, what was once ours has been taken from us in such a manner that others pity us, think us gullible, brand us with a scarlet F.

Scripture tells us a thing or two about fools, but worse yet than being deceived, is not to learn from our experience.

A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the back of fools. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes. Whoever sends a message by the hand of a fool cuts off his own feet and drinks violence. Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless, is a proverb in the mouth of fools. Proverbs 26:3-12

(Part 4 of 4)