Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mindset 5

In the Mindset series I reminisce about some of my favorite memories of my daughter's life when she was younger. I hope that the task of writing these entries will serve me well, and I hope too that you will enjoy going on this trip with me.

Today's journey takes us to visit the wonderful imagination of a child as expressed through sidewalk chalk. A bucket filled with wonderful reds, blues, oranges, pinks, greens, and purples. Nice thick cylinders to fit comfortably in little hands. Stand back and take in the outpouring of fantasy, reality, and expressions of love and hope as seen through their minds. In my old house, the sliding glass doors opened onto a large elevated concrete-surfaced deck. Many afternoons I would come home to a vast new gallery showcasing her creativity. Sometimes she would lay out complex mazes and roadways for us to walk around. Sometimes she would create a wonderful garden teeming with plants and creatures that nature could only look upon with envy. Oh how she loved to show me each and every aspect of her day's work. When the rains eventually came to wipe her slate clean, she only saw it as an opportunity to have space to create anew. One of my favorite chalk works of my daughter was made just before we moved out of that house. I knew that I had to take a photograph to make it last. I share that personal treasure below will all of you.