Friday, December 31, 2010

Mindset 10

In the Mindset series I reminisce about some of my favorite memories of my daughter's life when she was younger. I hope that the task of writing these entries will serve me well, and I hope too that you will enjoy going on this trip with me.

Today's journey takes us to visit the brief time interval between when my daughter was only able to walk to when she was finally ready to run. I am not speaking literally here, but figuratively. More specifically I am reflecting on the two-year period where I used to drive my daughter to school. We would arrive a few minutes early and park out front so that we had a clear view of the main doors. We would then talk and play games. Sometimes we would fill out Mad Libs or read a few chapters from our latest story book or I would quiz her one last time before a test or we would play games like 20 questions. It didn't matter. These times were just the two of us. I liked to think that we were wringing out the sweet juice of the fruit of our last few minutes of time together. However, I know that she just preferred to cling tightly to me for as long as she could before those school doors opened and she would have to go off alone. But oh what a way to start my day. That was the good stuff! I always drove off waving and blowing kisses, with tears in my eyes and a smile in my heart. Today I drop my daughter off at her grandparent's house in the morning so that she can catch the school bus. She prefers this now so that she can be with her friends. I understand. I remind her from time to time that I am still happy to drive her to school. Yeah, I know the answer to that offer even before I ask.