Thursday, August 12, 2010

One

Who is your one?

Too often I listen only to my own voice. I'm selfish that way. The signs along the true path can be quite clearly marked, but I still stubbornly travel where I want to go. From time to time I come to the realization that I am treading where I am not supposed to be. Occasionally this steers me back toward the light, but it seems that I mostly just shrug and continue along undaunted and unswayed on my original heading.

Who is your one?

Jesus told me very clearly that "He is the way", but it seems that the din of the world around me and my own issues have caused me to suppress this truth. I regularly do what I want and say what I want. I strongly suspect that anyone who views me would have no idea that I am a Christian based on my behaviors.

Who is your one?

I must confess that I do realize my sin and understand that I need to pray for armor to protect me from myself. I need to claim the cleansing water of forgiveness that is mine. However, what does it mean when I continue to go back to that well day after day for the exact same issues? It seems that I sin, ask forgiveness, but then never make any changes to keep me away from that sin. It is a pitiful cycle, a silly child's game. I feel that at some point Jesus will say that he has had enough, that I'm never going to change. He will claim that I have set myself up as my own god, that I have made myself number one. As the tears roll down my cheeks, I realize that he would be fully justified in doing this. After all, who really is my number one?