Thursday, August 5, 2010

Maelstrom

I have heard the word maelstrom uttered by a number a disparate sources over the past few weeks. It's a term that conjures strong images in my mind. A maelstrom represents a disordered and tumultuous state of affairs, a strong tempest. Its usage signifies bedlam, chaos, and confusion. A strong and uncontrollable whirlwind. I tend to think of it in terms of a constant onslaught of torment that is hard to understand and fight through.

My ongoing maelstrom is a personal battle that I have been engaged in for some time. This campaign is one that originated in a nightmare. It arose out of the deceipt and betrayal and communication problems and laziness that are so common in our world today. I never expected myself to be in this situation. A once sweet and delectable ambrosia turned sour. Purest white lost its promises and joyful smile and fused into coal black. Yet today, I am forced by circumstances to continue in this conflict. I try to go forward with a positive spirit and a generous heart, yet it seems that all too frequently the bandage is ripped off the wound before it has a chance to heal. Just when a modicum of peace starts to collect, the cloud is blown away with a selfish act or a harsh tone. I know that I do not have the mind or the stomach for this. I pray for a thick skin and a soft heart. Jesus told us to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", Matthew 5:44.