Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Relic

Waking in the morning and getting out of bed takes more and more effort these days. Tired muscles, aching bones, faltering spirit, and weak mind. The youthful exhuberance and spring now long gone, I must will myself to turn my engine over and go to it. I used to be invincible. The one everyone noticed, the first to arrive, the last to leave. I was once the young go-getter, the ace, the whiz kid. Now, I struggle to get through. Long since passed by, passed over, and passed through by the new generation. I feel like a relic, like my time has passed.

Now that's a depressing, defeatist paragraph. So what am I going to do about it?

I have several friends who seem to have this aura surrounding them. They always seem positive and ready for whatever comes. They play whatever cards they are dealt and find a way to live with it gracefully and in good spirit. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from their approach. Perhaps they know something that I don't.

Why don't you talk to them and learn more about their strategies for dealing with life?

My first dismissive thought is that they are so danged happy and positive because everything in their lives seems great. They have no reason to be unhappy. But if you think about this line of reasoning, if only for a moment, you will see just how absurd it is. Everyone on this planet, and I mean everyone, has their own issues to deal with. To think otherwise is just ridiculous. My guess is that they just have a different perspective, a way to tap into that wellspring of positivity and joy that is available to us in this world.

Stop pondering. Go over and talk to them before you waste any more time dwelling on being a relic.

Thanks Bill for making time to talk with me. Being open and honest with others returns more of the same. "For I hope to see you on my journey, and to be helped on my way there by you, if first I may enjoy your company for a while.", Romans 15:24