Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Preach to the Preacher

There is one potentially valid criticism that some folks might have with my blog ramblings. From time to time, I might get a bit preachy. My response is ... well ... it's my blog. But, believe it or not, the truth of the matter is that as a Christian I sometimes struggle to live out my faith. I tend to stifle God's light within me. Really, when I seem to be a bit preachy, the fact is, that I am trying to teach myself a lesson. In other words, I need to be preached to. It turns out, however, that I am a rather poor student and need to remind myself of what I should already know and how I should behave.

Let me quote from Matthew Chapter 7 verses 1 to 3:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

These verses floated into my mind the other day. I was sitting in the auditorium at work during a presentation. It was a fairly important talk to which the 80 or so folks in attendance were paying careful attention. During the middle of the talk, a cell phone went off. The ring tone was not subtle. It was not gentle. It was playing some loud and fanciful ditty. The poor chap to whom the phone belonged, rummaged through his bag pawing at anything and everything he could find to silence the beast, drawing much more attention to himself than he was comfortable with. Red-faced, he quickly removed himself from the room to deal with whoever it was that called him.

Myself and a number of others were left muttering about how inconsiderate this person was. In the next instant, a number of these same folks, myself included, then reached for their own cell phones to be sure that they were muted.