Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lip Service

Having knowledge of what you need to do or what you should do is a very distant cry from actually stepping out and stepping up to contribute. "Oh, that's very important to me." Words that ring hollow based on your actions. If it is so danged important to you, why do you never lend a hand? Why do you only take and never give? Sure, if you don't contribute, the work will still get done. But that is completely beside the point. Your only contribution seems to be providing lip service.

This week my church, Waters Edge Church, is in the final preparations for its annual Christmas Eve services. The number of folks attending will be in the neighborhood of about 4000. Obvious this is a big deal that requires many volunteers to pull off seamlessly. Development of the service and the music and the stage design are big elements to be sure, but there is so much more that most will never see. There are major tasks in setting everything up, preparing the auditorium, laying out the child care areas, cleaning up, preparing the programs, training the volunteers, developing the parking layouts, staffing the parking lots, reception area, auditorium, and child care rooms, and resetting the facilities between each of the 3 services. Finally, after all of the festivities and pageantry are over, there are scores of folks needed to tear down, clean up, and put everything back to how it was before our groups arrived.

This week I will contribute a few hours of my time for set up and tear down. I want to provide more than lip service in honoring my Lord and bringing him to the folks in my community. It's the least I can do for what he endured for me 2000 years ago. Will you do your share too?