Saturday, December 26, 2009

Best Books of 2009

Another year has come to a close, and with it, I have read another slew of books. By my count, it seems that the definition of a slew for 2009 is 23. This does not count books that I have read as part of my work or the dozens of books that I have read with my daughter. A good fraction of the books that I read were based on recommendations from my friends. To be sure, none of you has let me down (yet). So, without further ado, here is my top ten list of books for 2009 in no particular order.
  • Samson and the Pirate Monks, Nate Larkin (recommended by Bill Sprouse).
  • The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon (a gift from Elke Aschenauer).
  • Under the Overpass, Michael Yankowski (recommended by Brian Miller).
  • Perelandra, C.S. Lewis (recommended by Robby Turner).
  • That Hideous Strength, C.S. Lewis (recommended by Robby Turner).
  • Devotional Classics, Richard Foster & James Smith (recommended by Bill Sprouse).
  • A Grief Observed, C.S. Lewis.
  • Piercing the Darkness, Frank Peretti (recommended by Robby Turner).
  • Prophet, Frank Peretti (recommended by Robby Turner).
  • The Principle of the Path, Andy Stanley.
I am already starting to plan out my reading list for the first part of 2010. So, if you have any suggestions, pass them along. I keep my list of reads up to date on my Shelfari page. I would also give a shout out to a series of books called The 39 Clues that I have been reading with my daughter. We both have enjoyed them immensely.