Thursday, July 18, 2013

iTunes Latest - 13

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Somebody's Baby - Pat Benatar (1993) - A song from Gravity's Rainbow about a life discarded and the questions that don't seem to have an answer. This one will bring a tear to your eye. I love this song.
  • Everybody Lay Down - Pat Benatar (1993) - A standard Benatar rocker. It's about no pain, no gain. No guts, no glory.
  • In These Times - Pat Benatar (1997) - Sometimes the world seems to be in such bad shape, that humanity has made such a mess of everything, it is hard to find a reason to want to look to the future.
  • Papa's Roses - Pat Benatar (1997) - A song about regret, about a failed relationship, about hurt that can't be erased. If you ever doubted that Benatar could sing, this one will convince you of how lovely and resonant her voice can be.
  • Suite Madame Blue - Styx (1975) - I stumbled across this a couple of times in my journey. A protest song heightened and set apart by its cut from the cloth of "rock symphony" ala Queen. Styx has a place in my heart as they were always on heavy rotation (especially Come Sail Away) back in my middle school dances.