Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Observations 115

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • All of my utility companies send their monthly statements to me with lots of bold-faced type about "going green". Yet the statements are full of ad inserts that have nothing to do with my bill and which are printed on glossy paper that is not recycleable. Hmmm, maybe they don't truly appreciate what "going green" really means.
  • At my lab they organize weekly lunch time "pizza seminars" for the local graduate students and postdocs. My guess is that given people's intense love of pizza, they could have speakers talking about a pictorial review of explosive diarrhea syndrome or bovine spongiform encephalopathy and the room would still be full.
  • "If there's something from your past that you are holding onto, there's a great chance you haven't attached yourself to something new in your present or towards your future." ... "As long as you are exposing yourself to whatever that past is, it's going to be really hard to let it go." Rob Shepherd on getting over past relationships.
  • Since I have lived in my current house, the property across the street has changed hands three times. However, each owner has held to the same habit of washing their cars each and every weekend. I wonder what the chamois specifics are of their mortgages.
  • In a crowd entering into a public building, I overheard a snippet from a woman harshly talking down to a parking attendant, "Do I look like I enjoy walking?". The man next to me and I both looked back and saw a substantially overweight woman. He turned to me and said, "Well, I suppose not."