Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Observations 80

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • I watched a T.V. chef prepare a soup recipe that required a bazillion ingredients, some quite rare and expensive, that dirtied nearly every pot and pan in the kitchen. When she was done she said with a straight face, "This is so easy, you'd be crazy to waste your time on those cans of soup from the supermarket." Someone needs a reality check.
  • "The gospel is not a doctrine of the tongue, but of life. It cannot be grasped by reason and memory only, but it is fully understood when it possesses the whole soul and penetrates to the inner recesses of the heart." John Calvin
  • A colleague of mine from Germany sent me a "priority" letter postmarked Dec. 14. I did not get it until Jan. 12. Good thing that he paid extra to use the priority option.
  • It seems that our word "mortgage" comes from the French word for "death contract". That feels about right to me.
  • A straight-laced, conservative male colleague of mine walked past me in the hallway at work as I was waiting to enter a meeting room. He was to attend the meeting as well, but needed to make a quick trip to the men's room. The trouble is he walked into the women's room. After a few audible gasps from those women already present, he hurriedly walked out red in the face and quietly exclaimed, "Oh my."