Wednesday, October 15, 2014

iTunes Latest - 21

Back in December of 2011, I discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my thoughts on each song.
  • My Love Follows Where You Go - Alison Krauss and Union Station (2011) - There are several up-tempo songs by AKUS that I very much enjoy, but their 2011 album Paper Airplane is a notably melancholy and subdued affair. However, this song makes my spirit bloom, both its bouncy rhythm and its lyrics that remind us that our love binds us to our partner no matter how far away they roam. This song is absolutely wonderful.
  • Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits (1985) - This song is one that has always haunted me. It came from a hugely popular, iconic recording that marks the mid-80s for many people. In 1985 I was a college ungraduate and a big fan of the show Miami Vice. I still remember crying during the episode of Miami Vice where they used the haunting melody of Brothers in Arms after one of the shows regular characters was brutally murdered.
  • Lie Awake - Alison Krauss and Union Station (2011) - A haunting and beautiful song off their Paper Airplane album about worry and pain at the end of a relationship. How to get out from under and get away from history, pattern, and confusion.
  • Forever Man - Eric Clapton (1985) - I have always wanted to like Clapton's work because he had that aura of cool that a rock n' roll stud should possess. However, in truth, I have never really bonded with his music. However, this one was released back when I was in high school and still holds up some 30 years later even if it really isn't more than a pop song in a thin electric guitar wrapper.
  • Songs of Innocence - U2 (2014) - As part of their global marketing strategy, the uber-mega band U2 gave their new album away for free. Even though I am not a big fan of their music, I did download the album. My first impression was that this music does not have their signature sound. My second impression was that the songs on this album are pretty indistinguishable from each other. The one song that I have listened to a couple of times is called The Troubles.