Thursday, October 9, 2014

Hawaiian Observations

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past week on my trip to Hawaii.
  • During my trip, the Ironman Triathalon took place near my hotel. There was quite a buzz circulating about an 84 year old nun who was part of the field. Turns out she has competed in and finished dozens of these competitions. I wonder if you could say that she has made this a habit?
  • The meeting was held in Hawaii in order to foster scientific cooperation between the U.S. and Japan. As roughly half of the participants were Japanese, I spent some time observing them as the long sessions went on into the evening. Clearly westerners have an advantage in keeping their eyes open longer.
  • On my first night in the hotel I slept fitfully. I awoke to find that during the night, some kooky exotic spider had bitten my temple. Not quite the aloha spirit I was expecting.
  • Despite what you may have heard about Hawaii, not everyone who arrives on the island gets lei'd. Maybe that is just because I am not a playa.
  • Whenever I travel overseas (and I count Hawaii as "overseas"), there is nothing more comforting to me than getting to my hotel room, turning on the T.V., and immediately finding one of my regular shows. That really takes the edge off and helps me to feel at home.